Silk dresses have come a long way from lingerie initially intended for the bedroom. Nowadays, it is seen everywhere, from the streets to the red carpets.
If your wardrobe has felt lacking lately, it’s probably in need of a short silk dress to spice things up. The tantalising length keeps things fun and flirty while making sure you can build an outfit for any occasion.
There are no reasons why one shouldn’t incorporate it into their wardrobe. Timeless and classic, the silk dress has managed to stay at the top throughout the years.
Why You Should Wear Silk
Silk has been around for hundreds of years. Although the styles are constantly changing, the reasons why people love it so much remain the same.
The fabric itself is very versatile and can be moulded into different garments.
According to Flux Magazine, the fluidity of silk has shown itself on runways, in streetwear, haute couture and more.
A silk dress builds an image that feels luxurious yet effortless. Silk also provides several health benefits. Here are a few reasons you should introduce one to your wardrobe:
- Suitable for all body types: Silk has always complimented all body types. The fabric provides a slinky feel and clings to your body in all the right places. The right cut and colour can accentuate your curves.
- It is very versatile: Silk dresses are so versatile that you can dress them up for a fancy occasion or dress it down for a casual day out.
- Gives your skin a healthy glow: Silk has a natural lustre that highlights your skin tone and gives it a healthy glow.
- Lets you play with your accessories: Silk dresses are elegant and straightforward. They leave you with room to play with your accessories.
- Lets your skin breathe: Most natural and synthetic fabrics are not very breathable. However, silk allows your skin to breathe by allowing air to circulate through the fabric.
- Silk is naturally absorbent: Silk absorbs about 30% of its weight in moisture. It can absorb your sweat and let your skin breathe.
- It is long-lasting: Proper care will ensure that your dress remains comfortable and silky for many years.
Styling a Silk Dress
There is never an occasion where you cannot wear a silk dress. Whether you’re attending a fancy ball or running errands, wearing silk will never disappoint you.
You can repurpose a silk dress throughout the year. Play with layers in the winter and go bare with a dress and the right shoes for summer. Adding a leather jacket can completely transform the way silk looks on you.
Neutrals and medium shades of pink are great for darker skin tones. Lighter skin tones are complemented by jewelled tones like ruby and emerald green.
Pick the right shoes and accessorise with pearls, gold and silver to complete your look.
How to Keep Your Silk Dresses Fresh All Year Long
Although silk is very easy to maintain, how you wear, store and clean it will determine its durability. Here are a few ways to keep your silk dress fresh all year long:
- Hand wash your dress with silk-friendly detergent in cold water
- Hang it in a cool, dry place to avoid ironing
- Store away from direct sunlight to stop the colours and fabrics from weakening
- Use natural moth repellents
Silk is a long-term investment. A short silk dress is a timeless investment piece that you can repurpose throughout the seasons.
The easy to maintain fabric, elegant style, and health benefits are great reasons to add silk to your clothing collection. The next time you can’t decide what to wear; you’ll know which outfit has got your back.